Thursday, April 29, 2010

Entrepreneur Profile: Sospeter Amenya


Sospeter Amenya of BenCro Transition Designs is a Kenyan social entrepreneur whose work mainly involves designing websites and developing custom software to help in various aspects that are aimed at creating more opportunities for the impoverished society. 

We recently got a chance to interview him regarding the importance of determination to venture into enterprise as well as his future aspirations. 

Here is a snippet of the interview:

Yipe: When and why did you decide to be an entrepreneur?

Sospeter: After doing my IT course at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture, (JKUAT) I started my business soon after graduating in 2008. I had to tarmac (look for a job) for a considerable time before I made a decision to start a business. I also wanted to get start up capital for my business. 

I didn’t get a job though. So the idea of joblessness hit me hard and I started thinking of other means. I decided to put my skills in practice and I joined hands with my friend and started a freelancing webdesign business working from the briefcase. It was not registered though.

In the process of searching for clients, we bumped into one corporate client, an NGO that paid us Ksh 20,000. We used the cash as our starting capital to buy a desktop. And this is how we started. The business is now registered and almost 1yr old.

So the sole reason for starting is unemployment and the urge to create opportunities in future.

Yipe: What has been your learning experience in your business venture?
Sospeter: One failure makes me sharper to cut through the next and the end result is always success.

Yipe: What’s the most challenging aspect of being an entrepreneur from your perspective?
Sospeter: The challenge is lack of understanding from the people you must work with, particularly some clients. Secondly is accessing finance and the long process of business registration. Make it online would encourage others to start their businesses.

Read the rest of the interview here »»

1 comment:

  1. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
    CISSP Exam

    ReplyDelete